This campaign takes place in Mirkwood and the surrounding regions—the Long Lake area, the ‘narrows’ north of Mirkwood and south of the Grey Mountains, and the Anduin Vale—about five years after the events described in The Hobbit (it starts in late spring 2946 of the Third Age).
I’ve drawn on a number of different resources for this campaign. In addition to the works of Prof. J.R.R. Tolkien (of course!) and my own imagination, I’ve made use of some of ICE’s old Middle-earth Roleplaying (‘MERP’) materials, in particular their Mirkwood setting book, and the more recent books from Cubicle 7, especially the Loremaster’s Guide and the Rhovanion Region Guide. However, I’ve changed a lot in what I’ve taken from the ICE and C7 materials. Finally, the campaign idea was inspired partially by an old White Dwarf MERP adventure—‘The Dawn of Unlight’—written by Graham Staplehurst. I’ve used very little from the adventure itself except for the core idea (namely, a secret ‘cult’ devoted to Ungoliant), but I’ve always liked Staplehurst’s adventure and am delighted to finally make us of it.
The system I’m using is Adventures in Middle-earth, which adapts the 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons rules for Middle-earth. I think it does a pretty good job!
- The character backgrounds for: Hengil Foros (Dúnedan Warden of Rivendell), Ulvmund Galmund (Barding Warrior of Dale), and Hartmut Hare-Eye (Beorning Wanderer of the Anduin Vale).
The Adventures and Fellowship Phases:
- Adventure 1: Discovery of the Spider Orb.
- Fellowship Phase in Esgaroth.
- Adventure 2: Into Mirkwood and Back Again.
- A Plan is made concerning the Black Orb.
- Adventure 3: To the Tower of Bar-en-Dindol.
- Adventures 1 – 6: A Log of the Campaign (coming soon!).
- Adventure 7: To the Mountains of Mirkwood (coming soon!).
- Adventure 8: The Tower of Black Glass (coming soon!).
Some related posts:
- A note on this campaign (from 16 June 2018).
- Some earlier thoughts on this campaign (from 19 August 2017).
- Some initial impressions of the Adventures in Middle-earth adaptation of 5e D&D (from 17 September 2016).