08 October 2015

Edward Snowden solves the Fermi Paradox?

Over a year ago I briefly mentioned the ‘Fermi Paradox’ in a post.  It seems that Edward Snowden has a solution!  Namely: alien civilizations share a universal need to keep their communications secure. Consequently, "alien signals are simply too well encrypted to be distinguished from background noise."

This actually strikes me as an eminently plausible explanation.  And it certainly is far less distressing than the one offered by Alastair Reynolds in Revelation Space.

2 comments:

  1. isn't that basically what Sagan said?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put it down to smart arses delving to deep in particle physics and..."so thats what a black hole looks like!"

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a Canadian political philosopher who lives primarily in Toronto but teaches in Milwaukee (sometimes in person, sometimes online).