14 February 2020

Happy Valentine's Day from HPL

H. P. Lovecraft (in a letter to J. Vernon Shea, 1934):
"I didn't slop over in youthful romance, since I didn't believe -- and still don't -- in the existence of sentimental 'love' as a definite, powerful, or persistent human emotion. I have always regarded marriage as composed of friendly regard, mental congeniality, social foresight, and practical advantage; to which at first the element of biological eroticism is added."
I'm sure that my spouse will swoon once she reads this written in her card tonight...


3 comments:

  1. I should mention that I got that quote from the "H. P. Lovecraft" FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always the charmer, that Lovecraft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And they say romance is dead...
    Or perhaps not dead which can eternal lie...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a Canadian political philosopher who lives primarily in Toronto but teaches in Milwaukee (sometimes in person, sometimes online).