18 December 2022

Kim Mohan, RIP

I wanted to note (somewhat belatedly) the passing of Kim Mohan.

Among many other things, Mohan was the editor of Dragon during its peak: issues 49 through 114. The “Mohan era” was the true “golden age” of Dragon in my view. (Mohan later became editor again for issues 199-217, but I’m not familiar at all with that period of the publication.)


I started buying Dragon regularly (almost every month) with issue 56. It had a great impact on my early involvement in the hobby. I looked forward to every issue. This was long before the internet age, so Dragon was the main window into the greater “RPG scene” and community. (I also read White Dwarf regularly during this time, which provided some insight into the UK scene. I can’t imagine those years of my life without both publications.)

I stopped reading Dragon around the time that Mohan departed. Not that I paid any attention to such things at the time; rather, by the mid-1980s my RPG focus had shifted to MERP, Call of the Cthulhu, and other non-D&D/AD&D games.

Mohan had an impressively long career in the RPG business: he’s listed as a contributor to the 5th edition D&D Player’s Handbook and Monster Manual.

RIP


1 comment:

  1. Oh man. Very sad to hear.
    Pouring through some of the old Dragon issues borrowed from my city library...some of my earliest gaming memories.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a Canadian political philosopher who lives primarily in Toronto but teaches in Milwaukee (sometimes in person, sometimes online).