06 October 2017
Blade Runner 2049 is very good
So I just saw Blade Runner 2049. Here are some immediate reactions (no spoilers!):
· It’s very good. I give it a 9.7 out of 10.
· But…it’s not as good as the original (well, maybe as good as the initial theatrical release, the one with cheesy voice-over and the tacked-on happy ending, but not as good as either the ‘Director’s Cut’ or the ‘Final Cut’).
· While not as good as the original, Blade Runner 2049 nonetheless builds interestingly on the original; it does not detract from the power of the original by ‘ruining’ elements of the world (so think ‘Aliens’ not ‘Highlander 2’).
· It’s visually stunning. In this respect, it is equal to the original (though of course that’s not a fair comparison, given the greater budget and technical power available for the sequel).
· The world-creation is amazing—just as it was in the original, but the new film expands the world in interesting ways by going places (geographically, intellectually, and visually) that the original did not.
· The acting is uniformly excellent.
· The story is compelling. Perhaps there are some holes, but nothing leapt out at me while watching the film.
· The music is good, but not quite the equal of the original Vangelis score. Towards the end of the film it became slightly distracting.
So overall it’s a great film. See it! As a sequel, though, it doesn’t quite capture the ‘lightning in a bottle’ of the original. But it is a very worthy follow-up. I certainly plan to watch it again soon…
- ► 2018 (28)
- ▼ 2017 (39)
- ► 2016 (40)
- ► 2015 (48)
- ► 2014 (52)
- ► 2013 (41)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (134)
- ► 2010 (65)