14 November 2019

Another article on the popularity of D&D

There is an article on the current popularity of Dungeons and Dragons in today's New York Times: "In a Chaotic World, Dungeons & Dragons Is Resurgent."  It's a nice piece, and I'm glad that the game is doing so well these days (including with a wider range of kinds of players than ever before).


I certainly like 5th edition far more than the previous two. In fact, I'm running a 5e D&D game right now. But I just wish that other role-playing games would be mentioned sometimes in these articles! It's a bit frustrating that 'RPGs = D&D' for most journalists.

*sigh* ðŸ˜ž

3 comments:

  1. You can’t really expect much from the New York Times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this was published today. https://www.forbes.com/sites/robwieland/2019/11/14/embrace-the-chaos-of-the-grim-and-perilous-zweihander-rpg/#3547408771d0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgetting I had my editor hat on made me cringe a few times.

      At any rate, the fact that Zweihänder of all is covered in the article is not surprising at all, given the publisher's skill (and persistence) in marketing.

      Delete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a Canadian political philosopher who lives primarily in Toronto but teaches in Milwaukee (sometimes in person, sometimes online).