10 January 2024

Jennell Jaquays RIP

It was announced over at the RPG Pub that the legendary adventure designer Jennell Jaquays has passed away.

Perhaps I'm somewhat unusual in this respect within the online ‘grognard’ community, but while I missed her early classic adventures (Caverns of Thracia, Griffin Mountain, Dark Tower, etc.), I was quite familiar with Jaquay’s illustrations for Iron Crown Enterprise’s old Shadow World (Rolemaster) products (as well as the ‘Nehwon Mythos’ pictures in the 1st edition AD&D Deities and Demigods). Indeed, I associate her artwork with my favourite book in the Shadow World series, Terry Amthor’s epic Jaiman: Land of Twilight. (Amthor is another recently deceased RPG legend.)

Here's the picture of the creepy "darklord" of Jaiman: “Lorgalis ‘the White’” (any resemblance to a certain Melnibonéan sorcerer-emperor is purely coincidental, I’m sure):


The Throne of the Dragon Lord:


And one of the ‘good guys’ – a rather unusual Loremaster:



Later (during 2000s) I picked up Thracia (the 3e version, and the PDF of the original) and some other classic things by Jaquays. I should be getting Goodman Games’ revamped version of Dark Tower (to which Jaquays contributed some new material, I believe) sometime later this year.

RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a Canadian political philosopher who lives primarily in Toronto but teaches in Milwaukee (sometimes in person, sometimes online).