22 October 2020

My Favourite Games these days

In case anyone is curious, here are my current favourite role-playing games (in no particular order):


Mythras (including Lyonesse). 

I’m playing in a Mythic Babylon campaign right now, and look forward to digging into the (very thick) Lyonesse tome over the next couple of months. I have some ideas for a Lyonesse campaign that I might sketch here. (I should also mention that one of the best campaigns in which I ever played used the Mongoose RuneQuest II system, which is an earlier incarnation of Mythras [very similar in terms of core rules]. Here is my log of about two-thirds of that campaign.)

Crypts and Things

This excellent game draws upon my Swords & Wizardry house-rules.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (and OSRIC).

The old reliable warhorse.


Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition (including the Adventures in Middle-earth variant system). 

I hope to return to my Greyhawk campaign using D&D 5e soon, as well as finish up the log of my recent epic Middle-earth campaign.


Against the Darkmaster

This is a quasi-clone of MERP, ICE’s old Middle-earth Roleplaying game. It has been shorn of MERP’s explicit Tolkien references, and introduces some rather cool refinements and additions to the system. I plan to write something about this exciting new game very soon!



Call of Cthulhu

Yeah, “old reliable.” My favourite system for one shots and short campaigns. Alas, I haven’t played it in over two years. I would like to run either a Cthulhu Invictus or a Dreamlands campaign someday.  

(I’ll add a new section on the right with links to these games in the next day or two.)


4 comments:

  1. EDIT (2020-10-27): I removed the OSRIC picture since it seemed superfluous and changed the format of the post (from the pictures being above the descriptions to below).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a pre-release version of Mythic Babylon? It would soar to the top of my Christmas wishlist, but I can't seem to find it listed as an available product anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask Chris (one of the co-authors) and Loz (of DM) and get back to you.

      Delete
    2. Regrettably, Loz tells me that Mythic Babylon will not be published until 2021 (a few months at least).

      I'm a playtester for Mythic Babylon, which is why I'm playing it now.

      Delete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a Canadian political philosopher who lives primarily in Toronto but teaches in Milwaukee (sometimes in person, sometimes online).