Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) liked the analogy so much, he worked the piece into a floor speech calling on said "Tea Party Hobbits" to back a compromise on the debt ceiling.Clearly hurt, Tea Partiers responded with LOTR reference of their own. Mark Meckler of the Tea Party Patriots told CNN that "Clearly he's been corrupted by the ring of power." Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), an avowed fan of fantasy-inspired prog rock, took to the Internet to embrace his new title. "To those referring to 'Tea Party hobbits': I'd rather be a hobbit than a troll," he wrote, attaching a picture of Gollum. His followers quickly corrected him, however, noting that Gollum is not actually a troll but a corrupted hobbit. Go figure.
29 July 2011
'Tea Party Hobbits'?
I (almost) never talk about politics on this blog, and I don't really intend to start now, but I found this piece on the current brouhaha in Washington over lifting the debt ceiling at Talking Points Memo rather amusing. Especially this part:
I find it hilarious that some of Rand Paul's 'followers' felt the need to correct him on Gollum's hobbit heritage!
(Also somewhat amusing is that Legolas, a Sindarin Elf, is used in the picture instead of, say, Frodo.)
Anyway, back to talking about RPGs...
- ► 2021 (19)
- ► 2020 (37)
- ► 2019 (45)
- ► 2018 (32)
- ► 2017 (39)
- ► 2016 (40)
- ► 2015 (48)
- ► 2014 (52)
- ► 2013 (41)
- ► 2012 (59)
- 'Tea Party Hobbits'?
- Gygax Memorial Fund at Gen Con 2011
- My Top 5 FRPG Artists – Number 4 – Peter Fenlon
- OSRCon Toronto: a quick reminder
- In the Western Lands (and some brief notes)
- RuneQuest 6th edition is coming!
- Fight On! #12 now available!
- ICE's Middle-earth Ad in Dragon
- Eldritch Graffiti
- Call of Cthulhu 30th Anniversary Edition
- The Journal of Edvund Yrvim - Entry 12 - The Demon...
- The One Ring RPG Characters Preview
- Dominion Day 2011
- ▼ July (13)
- ► 2010 (65)