26 February 2011
I remember purchasing this excellent ICE campaign module ~30 years ago. (By Eru I'm old!)
It is one of my favourite RPG books of all time (although I have long since lost the original book, and now only own a much later, heavily revised version from ~1990). It provided a wonderful 'sandbox' campaign setting, with sketchy information on the Withered Heath, the Lonely Mountain, Dale, Laketown, the Wood-elf realm, and so forth. I loved its presentation of a region in which player characters could do whatever they liked (for good or ill!).
And one thing that I especially dig about this cover image (which is one of my favourites from ICE's early Middle-earth line) is that it shows wood-elves to be rather tough chaps. They're no hippy tree-huggers, but instead rugged fellows who know how to kill a giant spider or two, when necessary.
I always liked the portrayal of wood-elves in The Hobbit as somewhat dangerous, not exactly 'good', woodland hedonists. If I ever use elves again in a campaign setting, I think that this picture sums up how I would imagine them.
- ► 2021 (19)
- ► 2020 (37)
- ► 2019 (45)
- ► 2018 (32)
- ► 2017 (39)
- ► 2016 (40)
- ► 2015 (48)
- ► 2014 (52)
- ► 2013 (41)
- ► 2012 (59)
- On the Original Elric Stories
- Non-Hippy Wood-Elves
- Gorgeous Map for ‘Here Be Dragons’
- Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition and Related News
- Dungeons and Dragons for Philosophers
- The Journal of Edvund Yrvim - Entry 2 - 'Plans Cha...
- The Journal of Edvund Yrvim - Entry 1
- Sword and Magic: Adventures on Fomalhaut
- Mike Mearls’ Plea for Unity
- Investigators Pierre and Nigel (Cthulhu Canada)
- Thor Trailer
- C&C Castle Keepers Guide No Longer Vapourware
- The Yrvim Saga
- RQII Young Kingdoms Character Creation – Some Thou...
- Edvund Yrvim (MRQII Young Kingdoms PC)
- Bōdric Yrvim (MRQII Young Kingdoms PC)
- Adralat Na-Keth (MRQII Young Kingdoms PC)
- Young Kingdoms Campaign Index
- Young Kingdoms Campaign Background
- Rooster Cogburn is Odin?
- Young Kingdoms Character Brainstorming
- Chronicles of Future Earth
- ▼ February (22)
- ► 2010 (65)